Sunday, July 27, 2008

Since I last posted on Tuesday, work has progressed rapidly on many projects on the boat. To begin with, on Friday morning, I picked up the last supplies I needed for the paint job, and then headed to the boatyard. While initially I had thought that sanding wouldn't take too long, I ended up spending around four hours going over everything that was going to be painted, first with 80 Grit paper, then with 120 grit paper.
This is the hull after everything has been sanded.While I had hoped to be wrapping up the priming the hull by around 5 in the afternoon, in reality I was just finishing laying the tape. After figuring out the order that I was going to paint in, I began mixing the paint, and started painting around six. Everything went pretty smoothly, and I heard the cannons at the yacht clubs announcing sunset right as was finishing. As such, the only pictures I got for the day were pretty dim.
As much as I didn't really want to paint so late in the evening, I think that one of the surprise benefits was that when I returned in the morning, there was not a single bug caught in the paint, in contrast to the dozens that I had encountered painting mid-day with the coats of epoxy.
Anyway, below are some pictures in the daylight from after the first coat of primer. I think it came out pretty well.
Saturday morning, however, was not rest for me though, as I began sanding everything I had just painted to smooth out any bumps or wrinkles. I also mixed up some more filler to fair a couple more spots that were bothering me on the topsides, resulting in a very flat, smooth hull. I then started another coat of the primer, and remarkably, I still ended up working on the paint job until about 8 that night.
Here's how she looked the next morning:




As you can see, the boat is looking much better now that all the crazing is covered up, any of patched are painted, and everything has an even coat of paint.
This morning, I went to the boat and began sanding everything with 220 grit paper, but ultimately weather got in the way of that and I headed home. Back at the house, I spent the remainder of the afternoon sanding all the exterior woodwork and the cabin sole, doing the final preparations to begin varnishing them tomorrow.
Depending on the weather, I will either be painting or doing more sanding in preparation for painting on Tuesday, which has a perfect weather forecast.

No comments: