Monday, July 7, 2008

Lots of Tiny Details

I spent 8 hours working on the boat today, which given the extremely hot and humid conditions seemed significantly longer. Adding insult to injury, I spent the majority working on minute details that don't really show that much.



One of the most annoying projects today was using a heat gun and a tiny scraper to remove the reflective plastic tape that had been put in the cove stripe, and then painted over, which was - to say the least - a big, sticky mess.

After this, I sanded the toerails, which I think makes the boat look much better, and this was pretty quick and gratifying.





After that, I spent the remainder of the day sanding the tiny edge of the deck, between where the non-skid ends and the toe rail begins. While this was a major pain, it looks much better cleaned up, and had to be done before the deck could be painted.

I finished up sanding some other details, finishing off the starboard side of the cabin and cockpit seats, and a little bit of work on the stemhead as well.

After sweltering in the sun for a while, I finished off the day removing some varnish down below, and cleaning up a bit as well - with paint hopefully coming soon, I want to start to get as much dust away from the boat as possible.



Here's the cockpit, slowly but surely looking cleaner and better.




No comments: