Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Can the sun come out soon?

The terrible weather has continued here in New England, so I have been cooped up in the workshop trying to get as much done as possible. I think I might be starting to have cabin fever from working down there so much, but the bits of the boat that are in there are starting to look really good.

Right now the mast, boom, spreaders and flagstaff are all hanging from the rafters for varnish, the companionway boards, handrails and tracks for the main hatch are on the table being varnished, while the two hatches are having paint work on their undersides while one also has some varnish work done. The mast and boom are up to six coats of varnish, while the other pieces are still at 5. The ice box lid is getting painted, as is the counter from the head, while the electrical panel continues to get worked on too. I feel like I spend half of everyday just trying to move stuff around so that it all fits into my garage - I think that what I am looking forward to most of getting the boat in the water is just getting everything out of my garage...

An overview of everything:

The mast:
Main hatch:
I'm hoping that when the weather clears up later this week I can start working at the boatyard again. On the boat, I still need to varnish the toerails and cockpit coamings, paint the covestripe, apply bottom paint and if time permits, adjust the boottop. Also, I would like to get the name on the transom, but that is not exactly a high priority item at the moment. There is also a bevy of smaller interior projects, but they also aren't anything that will stop me from having the boat launched.
P.S. Sorry about the picture quality - I'm missing the cord for my regular camera, so I'm just using my phone's camera - which doesn't take quite as good close up pictures.

No comments: